The rule of law is the framework that underpins open, fair and peaceful societies, where citizens and businesses can prosper. It is essentially about ensuring that:
- public authority is bound by and accountable before pre-existing, clear, and known laws
- citizens are treated equally before the law
- human rights are protected
- citizens can access efficient and predictable dispute resolution mechanisms
- law and order are prevalent
A well-functioning justice sector with accountable and transparent government and justice institutions underpins an open and fair society where legal standards and citizens' experience of the law and legal services are improved.